Is the idea of Zero Waste too intimidating to imagine for your Club meetings and fundraisers? Then consider the concept of Near-0 Waste:
- Look at what you are using and ask, “Do we really need this?” (Lids, straws, goodie bags, etc,)
- Use environmentally friendly options for the things you can’t live without. (Finger foods that do not require tableware, water dispensers and reusable cups)
- Tackle the easy things first.
- Borrow don’t buy. If you buy, consider lending to others in the future.
- Ask people to bring their own bottles, mugs or glasses.
- Switch to reusables whenever possible.
- Make it easy for participants to recycle right for your area.
- Make sure that trash, compost and recycling bins are always together to avoid frustration and contamination.
At first glance, Zero Waste can look a bit “all or nothing”. The enormity of waste produced at even a simple festival can cause a group to give up before even starting. A Near-O Waste attitude encourages questioning, problem solving, exploring options, and then choosing the most easy changes first, making progress in stages, and improving every time.
Coming Soon: The Surprising First Step for All Near-0 Waste Rotary Meetings and Events